Monday, March 19, 2007

I feel the F.E.A.R.

You may recall that I had the chance to play F.E.A.R. a couple of weeks ago when I was in Singapore. My impressions on the PC version are here. Well, this week, I went out and bought the X360 version of F.E.A.R. and I thought that it would be interesting to compare the two.

The first thing I noticed when I started playing F.E.A.R. on the X360 is that it seems a lot brighter than on the PC version. When I was playing on my brothers PC, it was so dark it was almost impossible to see anything. In fact, it was so dark it became unrealistic. Having said that, the X360 version is probably a bit too bright so they seem to have overcompensated.

Also, from playing the game, its quite obvious that it started as a PC game before being ported to the X360. The controls feel a bit twitchy - the kind of twitchiness that you expect from a keyboard/mouse control scheme. However, having played lots of FPSs built specifically for consoles, you become used to something a bit smoother. Ordinarily, this would make aiming in the game really hard - however, the developers have got around this by giving you auto-aim. Basically, even if you are off just a little with your aiming reticule, you will still drill the guy.

From reading the above, you may get the impression that I don't like the game. However, there is nothing further from the truth. What the X360 version has managed to retain, and also what makes this game standout, is the atmosphere. The game is just as creepy and scary on the X360 as it is on the PC. In fact, considering how I play, its actually scarier!

To understand this, let me paint you a picture of how I played this game in Singapore. It was during the day, in broad daylight. I was hunched over a mouse and keyboard and staring at a 19" monitor trying to pick out movement in the sea of black on screen. Meanwhile, my brother is sitting behind me snickering at each time something went bump on his stereo speakers.

This is how I play the game at home. Its night and the lights are switched off. I am alone in the dark. The only source of light comes from my 42" plasma TV. Meanwhile, eerie music is playing constantly from my Sennheiser earphones (How come I didn't notice the music in Singapore?). A lot scarier I'm sure you will agree! Just for those who aren't convinced - a brief gameplay example below - bear in mind that I am sitting alone at night, with the lights off and with a fantastic set of earphones constantly playing scary music!

**************************************************

I'm walking down a long corridor towards an open door. A single fluorescent tube on the ceiling is the only source of light. A loud rattle in my right ear startles me and I spin right to track any movement - nothing, it was just an empty can which I had bumped into. Gathering my nerve again, I keep walking forward towards the open door.

Blam! Suddenly the door slams shut on its own and the lights go out. I am literally pitched into darkness. I turn on my flashlight, but the small circle of light it provides is only enough to illuminate the door. Fearing a trap, I quickly spin round, my finger next to the trigger on my 10mm HV Penetrator. If it's a trap, I swear they will regret it when I nail them to the wall with 10mm nails!

At first, I see nothing. Or at least, nothing moving (the human eye is designed to spot movement so at first, nothing registers). Wait a minute. Whats that? In the distance, I see what looks like the silhouette of a small girl with long hair. Alma!

Crap!! The last time I met her, she blew me through the window of a building while flinging me 30 feet through the air! I need to get out of there and fast! I spin round again and dash the last couple of steps to the door - my only hope of survival is to escape.

Except the door is locked .....

No comments: