Sunday, February 11, 2007

F.E.A.R.

I see dead people.

That is my lasting impression from yesterday as I had a quick taste of F.E.A.R. on the PC (on my brother's PC incidentally). On a side note, what is it with these stupid acronyms! First Encounter Assault Recon (F.E.A.R.), as a title really doesn't make any sense - and if you don't know why, please don't ask me unless you have no pride.

Luckily the game itself seems to be awesome. Great atmosphere, really scary (hence the name F.E.A.R.). It is little wonder that this game received so many awards when it was released on the PC.

The premise of the game (from the short story segments I saw while playing yesterday) is some general has gone nutso. Normally, a very common occurrence (based on Hollywood movies). However, in this case, the general also has a telepathic link to a battalion of super-soldiers. If you ask me, the army needs a new shrink - they really need to screen the people they "volunteer" for these missions!

This is the point where you come in. You are the newest member of F.E.A.R., a team of soldiers focusing on the paranormal. Unbeknownst to the rest of your squad, you seem to have been experimented on at some stage so you have super reflexes (which manifests itself in the form of bullet time ala Matrix). Of course, this is a great setup for some superb shooting action as you face off against impossible odds.

However, what really sets this game apart is the atmosphere. The game is really very creepy. Monolith (the developers) have done a superb job in recreating a very dark and moody environment for you to wander around in. Despite being part of an elite team of soldiers, the rest of your squad don't actually do anything and you always have to go in alone (I guess thats why the squad is named F.E.A.R. - cos they're too chickens$*t to do anything!). Which means you are always on your own. In the dark. Alone (did I mention that already?).

And then, there are the dead people. When I say dead people, I mean people, not bodies (common enough sight in shooters). The game has dead people wandering around and they tell you things. And then theres the girl. For those of you who have played this game, or seen the box art, you will know who I am talking about. There is a girl wandering around who has supernatural powers (kinda like your typical japanese horror movies - long hair, big eyes etc etc). Don't know her story yet, but I can't wait to keep playing this game.

I really have to buy this game for my Xbox 360 when I have time. The atmosphere in this game is great - but limited by the fact that I am hunched over a keyboard and facing a 19" monitor (can't believe the git has a 19" mon - flash b$#*%rd).

Wait till I show him what its like on a 42" plasma with Sennheiser earphones!
>:)

No comments: